We want all our animals to find loving, stable homes. Before adopting, consider these helpful tips:
- Be committed. Having a pet is a big commitment, so make sure everyone in your household wants one and is willing to dedicate the necessary time and attention.
- Do your homework. Consider the type of pet that best fits your family and your home. Research pet personality traits to help you make a smarter adoption choice.
- Consider your living environment. Different pets and breeds have different needs. If you are renting, contact your landlord to make sure pets are allowed and see if a pet deposit is required in advance.
- Think about finances. Adopting through Winnebago County Animal Services is affordable, but pets require food, toys, veterinarian visits, grooming and more. Make sure to plan for the budget your pet will require.
- Plan for the long term. Your new pet will need some help making the transition and training to become a member of your family. Be patient and flexible. And remember that your pet’s needs will change over time, so make sure you’re considering their immediate and longer-term needs.
For more information to help you prepare for adoption and pet ownership, browse our resource library!